Monday 3 December 2018

Supermarket Sweetheart



By Jennie E. Owen


Tonight’s the night as they say, and I’m just trying to, you know, to build up to it. I’m sat in my Fiesta outside the Asda, it’s about 9.45pm and they’ll be shutting soon, and I’m drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. I’m going to do it; I’m going to get her. 

It’s dark where I’m parked, far away from the lights and more importantly the security cameras. The green sign of the store is reflected in a hundred puddles. Half a dozen youths with hoods over their faces are hanging around the cash machine and the odd late night shopper passes out of the doors with a low swoosh. Not her though, I’ll have to go in and get her.

Believe me I’m not a bad person. I hold down a job, have kids. Had kids. They’re with their mum now, but I send money when I can. I’ve even got my own little flat. I’m a productive member of society me; I do my bit.


It started a few months ago. I’ve been by myself a couple of years; it gets lonely going back to the flat every night on my tod. Don’t seem to have many friends, apart from Archie I guess when he’s not plastered; but I’ve always preferred my own company. I come in on singles night, Tuesdays. Five meals for one, single serve anything, some beer, some vodka too if I feel flush. It’s unofficial singles night of course, but we’re all in here doing it. Mostly fat-thighed middle aged hags with varicose veins. They try to catch my eye sometimes, but I stare down at my white knuckles on the handle of the shopping trolley. Even the cashiers try it on with me, the girls and the boys.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

 

Bridge House Publishing © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates